March 9, 2020 — Coronavirus Preparedness
March 9, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We know this is an anxious time for everyone. We are working closely with local health officials to prepare for possible effects of coronavirus (COVID-19) and will continue to keep parents updated with any important information. However, it is important that you start preparing your household for possible effects of coronavirus (COVID-19) including school closure. Your household plan should include the following:
- Designating an area in your home to separate sick family members
- Food and medicine supply for a minimum of two weeks Creating an emergency contact list
- Creating a list of local organizations you can contact if you need assistance
- Preparing for child care arrangements
Parents can help protect their children and prevent the spread of coronavirus as they would colds and other flu by taking the following precautions.
- Teach your children to wash hands frequently with soap and water for 20 seconds. Be sure to set a good example by doing this yourself.
- Teach your children to cover coughs and sneezes with tissues or by coughing into the inside of the elbow.
- Teach your children to stay at least three feet from people who are sick and stay home from work or school if you are sick.
- Know the signs and symptoms related to COVID-19: fever, cough, and shortness of breath
- Seek medical advice if you develop symptoms and have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19 or if you live in or have recently been in an area with ongoing spread of COVID-19.
- Children look to parents for guidance on how to react to stressful situations. If parents seem worried, children may become anxious. We ask that you reassure your children that health and school officials are working hard to ensure everyone stays healthy.
Updated information will be made available on our district's website at www.nbpschools.net and through public Nixle alerts. For additional information visit the following websites at by clicking the blue link:
- Interim Guidance: Get Your Household Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC))
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
(Middlesex County Department of Health)
Dr. Aubrey A. Johnson
Superintendent of Schools