March 12, 2020 — Parent Letter on Continuity of Teaching and Learning Plan
March 12, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
In the event that New Brunswick Public Schools have to close for an extended period of time, due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have developed a plan to ensure teaching and learning will continue at home.
Distribution of Devices
We are maintaining a proactive approach to support the continuity of teaching and learning in the New Brunswick Public Schools in the event of an extended school closure. Fortunately, with our E-Learning days, we have experience delivering remote instruction should the need arise. We have a remote instruction plan that provides specific details; please know the district is well equipped to deliver instruction remotely to all students in grades 3-5, 6-8, and grade 12 via Chromebooks. Students in these grades will utilize Chromebooks during the closure and communicate directly with their teachers. If you have not done so, we ask that you sign and have your child return the district’s Acceptable Use Agreement which outlines the appropriate use of technology.
Students in grades 1-2 will be provided with printed assignments, and these will be sent home via backpack. These activities are to be utilized by families to provide opportunities for learning from home. Students in grades 9-11 will continue to use Google Classroom, where applicable, and copies of work packets will be sent home for students.
Equitable Access for All Students
In order for all students to have access to the curriculum during an extended absence, the actions below will be taken for those without access to a technology device and/or an internet connection.
- The locations and hours of operation will be announced by the school district via the district website, social media, and the SchoolMesenger communication system.
- Printed assignments and activities will be sent home in backpacks for students through grade 2.
- District Devices with wifi connectivity will be provided for students in grades 3-8.
- Community Wifi Access is available at multiple locations in New Brunswick including:
- New Brunswick Public Library
- Hidden Grounds Coffee - 106 Easton Ave.
- Starbucks - 391 George St.
- Caffe Bene - 356 George St.
- Utopia Bubble Tea - 48 Bayard St.
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction