Automated Alerts with SchoolMessenger
What is SchoolMessenger?
SchoolMessenger is a free communication tool that gives you access to district and school notifications of all types (text messages, voice, email) inside a single inbox. You can also change your contact preferences and adjust contact numbers in the web app, available from any Internet-enabled device.
How do I change my phone numbers or email addresses to which the District sends automated messages?
There are two ways to update your contact information. If you know your OnCourse Connect Parent Portal login, you may update your information using these instructions. Alternatively, you may call your school’s main office to update contact information.
How do I change what calls, emails and texts I receive in SchoolMessenger?
The easiest way is to visit the SchoolMessenger website at https://go.schoolmessenger.com/. Create an account by clicking “Sign Up” on the top right menu, using the email address that you have provided to the district.
Then, you can choose how you want to be contacted based on the category of message (from emergencies to school activities) and provide contact permission. You will also be able to listen to and read messages from the school and district for the previous 30 days.
How do I “Opt-In” to receive text messages?
Text “Y” to 67587 from each wireless device they wish to receive texts on. Note: It may take 24 hours (or more) for numbers to be updated from our OnCourse database.
How do I opt-out of receiving text messages?
Recipients not wishing to receive text messages to a particular number can simply do one of the following:
- Don’t opt-in and don’t reply to the opt-in invitation message.
- Text “STOP” to 67587 at any time.
- Opt out online at http://schoolmessenger.com/txtmsg
- Request that New Brunswick Public Schools remove the number from the contact lists.
I received a text message that says it’s from SchoolMessenger? What does it mean?
If it was from 67587 that was most likely the Opt-In Invitation message sent by SchoolMessenger.
To continue receiving informational text messages from the school(s) reply with “Y”.
If you do not reply, you won’t receive any future texts from the district/schools.
I “Opted-In”, but I’m not receiving texts?
- Ensure that the District has your correct device number in the database. It may take 24 hours for a number to become active after being changed or added to the district’s system.
- Send a text with “Y”, from that specific device to 67587. You should receive an opt-in confirmation message from the service.
- If you want to receive texts on multiple devices, each device number must complete the Opt-In process.
- Confirm that the district has actually attempted to send a SchoolMessenger Communicate broadcast which includes an SMS text message to your mobile phone number.
What does it mean if I texted “Y” or “yes” and I received some sort of error message back?
If you receive what appears to be an error message, similar to one of the following, it most likely means that short code text messaging is not enabled on your wireless subscription plan:
- Service access denied
- Message failed
- Shortcode may have expired or shortcode texting may be blocked on your account
- Does not participate
These replies DO NOT indicate that the wireless provider can’t receive messages from SchoolMessenger. Rather, they are an indication that the specific mobile device does not have short code SMS texting enabled for that number (this is sometimes disabled by default on company provided cell phones). To address this, contact your wireless provider.
Will I be charged for the text messages that I receive from SchoolMessenger?
SchoolMessenger does not charge recipients for the text messages that they receive or send to the short code; however, wireless providers may charge for individual text messages, depending on the plan associated with the wireless device. Please consult your carrier if you are uncertain.
Access Your Account
SchoolMessenger Solutions Support
New Brunswick Public Schools